Thursday, August 26, 2010

Update from Iowa

Greetings from Des Moines! Let me bring you up to speed on what I've been doing since I got home.

I'm busy getting the house in order, and I'm trying to treat that like it's my job. That is, I spend my days doing this and leave nights and weekends free for fun. However, I also know there will be times when it makes sense to do work on nights and weekends, and I've done some of that too. The first thing I tackled was unpacking my clothes, shoes, and purses back into my house. I am currently taking up the entire master bedroom closet, both pieces of bedroom furniture, part of a spare bedroom closet, and a few totes under the bed. Think I have a lot of clothes and accessories? But on to actual house tasks...

The first order of business at the house is windows. I've gotten the contract signed and the windows have been ordered. Installation should begin in the next couple of weeks and will take about 4-5 days. In the meantime, I'm going through the house getting each room looking its best so it will be attractive to potential buyers. I am finishing up on the dining room and kitchen. My friend Ellie came over with her daughter Riley the other day and we went through EVERYTHING in the kitchen! We emptied out cupboards, cleaned shelves, and got a massive sell/giveaway pile going. I've already made some money and gotten rid of a few kitchen things thanks to Craig's List! I didn't realize how many duplicates we had, nor how many kitchen appliances that we just didn't need or use! Wow.

I've managed to do some good things for myself personally and socially as well. I've seen my parents, my in-laws, some extended family, and many great friends already since getting back two weeks ago. I've hosted Wine Club and the Boka & Friends Fantasy Football draft at the house. I've continued to spoil and bond with the cats. It has been kind of nice having a roommate again, someone to eat dinner and watch TV with, though Pat will be moving out and into his own place soon.

I haven't been back "home" to Letts/Muscatine yet, but will do so next week if all goes according to plan.

I will keep everyone posted on the developments here and my timeline for the big move!

No comments:

Post a Comment