Monday, December 6, 2010

Welcome to Fabulous Austin, Texas

Well, I sold my house and leased a place in Austin!

I just got back from four days in Texas. At the same time I was signing a lease for a great apartment, the people who would eventually buy my house were coming through for another look. I got the offer that night. The next morning, I awoke with The Avett Brothers' song "I and Love and You" in my head, plain as day, almost as if a radio was on in the next room. The starting lyrics speak to someone who is moving, though I'm going south to Austin instead of north to Brooklyn:
Load the car and write the note
Grab your bag and grab your coat
Tell the ones that need to know
We are headed north

One foot in and one foot back
But it don't pay, to live like that
So i cut the ties and i jumped the tracks
For never to return

Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in
Are you aware the shape I'm in
My hands they shake my head it spins
Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in
I thought that was interesting. I had a great sense of peace that morning, and I feel even better now that I've gotten back to Iowa and signed the paperwork for the sale of my house.

I probably won't write much in the near future -- I'm planning to do the big move this weekend (though I'll still be around the house in Iowa from time-to-time until January 21)!

My new apartment is great! It's on South Congress, which is the heart and funky soul of Austin, in my opinion. I'm just a couple miles south of the capitol building, maybe 1/2 mile from the Congress Avenue Bridge (home to Austin's battiest residents, who are actually bats) and Lady Bird Lake (the body of water and accompanying trail system with which I was obsessed this summer), and less than 10 minutes from my yoga studio, Whole Foods, Waterloo Records, and my friends Erin & Chad. I'm right across the street from a great coffee place (the place I saw one of the actors from Friday Night Lights in May), next door to a great outdoor bar/restaurant, and within easy walking distance of great shopping (some of my favorite tee shirt shops and clothing boutiques, not to mention antique stores and places to buy cowboy boots!), Southside Tattoo (where I got my ink), a sushi place, an ice cream shop, a lot full of food trailers, a pizza place, and a great Mexican restaurant (Guero's). Clearly, I'm stoked about the location. I'm also excited to report that I'll have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom place and my apartment complex has a beautiful pool and hot tub area (so plan your visits, everyone!). Magnolia Cafe, which has the best avocado cheese omelet I've ever had, is maybe a mile down the road. Oh, and did I mention that South Congress is the street I would take everyone when they came to visit this summer? I took my friend from Dallas, my friends from Kansas City, and my family to South Congress. Now I live there.

Yeah, I live in a "vacation place" now. :) Well, I will soon. I guess I need to start packing for that to happen though!

No comments:

Post a Comment