Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools' Post

I don't have any tricks up my sleeve today (it's too hot in Austin for sleeves today anyway, with a projected high near 90 degrees today).  I do have a funny April Fool's Day memory though.

About seven years ago, while I was in law school (wow, has it been that long?!), I was driving an older car and the gas gauge was broken.  I was driving home from school to our apartment.  I was going to eat dinner at home and get a little required reading in before heading back to campus for something -- a required event for moot court or something, as I recall.  Well, it was a really busy time of the semester and everyone was starting to think about finals and worry about those.  (You might think that's ridiculous, but keep in mind that for most law school classes, your final exam is your entire grade, and the tests are all essay tests; you might have one question that you have to write about for four hours and you better know the ins and outs of that topic!)  Well, when I get busy and stressed out, I tend to become forgetful and accident/incident prone.  I think you can see where this is going...

I was about a mile from the apartment when my car slowed, sputtered, and stopped.  I got into the right lane, put the car in park, and put on the hazard blinkers.  I didn't know what to do from there -- obviously, I could walk to the gas station, get gas, and then come back, but that would mean I wouldn't have time to eat, do homework, or see Brian.  For some reason that I can't recall now, I called Brian from the car before I set out for the gas station to tell him what was going on.  Lucky for me, a police officer came up behind me while I was on the phone and offered to use his car to push mine the mile I needed to go to get home.  I was saved!  From there, the walk to the gas station was much shorter and the night ended up okay.  However, about five or ten minutes after I talked to Brian he called me back to ask, "Is this an April Fools' Day joke?"  I had honestly forgotten about the date -- like I said, I had a lot on my mind -- and was able to finally convince him that I had, in fact, run out of gas and gotten pushed home by a police officer.

Here's hoping there are more jokes than mishaps for you this year, or at least a nice police officer to help you out if needed!

1 comment: